Saturday, September 24, 2005

What's up with all of the foreign language blogs on this site? No offense or anything, but this blog originates in the United States. Or does it?
Poor New Orleans got soaked again. And they still think it's a good idea to put all the houses and buildings back where they were? About how many times should we do that? Two, five? I know it's hard to lose your home, but why the hell would you want to put yourself back in harm's way? Go someplace that isn't right smack dab in the path of hurricanes and that isn't below sea level and that doesn't border a lake held back by levies. Knowing the government, it won't be rebuilt in my lifetime anyway. Anyone who is displaced should take this as an opportunity to get the hell out of there and start a new life somewhere else. There is a kid who came to Illinois from New Orleans. He is in school here. He was not able to bring his saxaphone with him so he got 4 saxaphones from people here. He is in the marching band and having a really good time. A month ago, if you had asked him if he wanted to move away, he would have said no. Now? This might be a good thing.

2 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Kevin Robertson said...

Hi, Mary,

I was checking the statcounter on my blog , http://ssglinus.blogspot.com/ , and I saw that at least on person had come to my blog from yours.

Your opening line about foreign language blogs caught my eye.

Yes, the Blogger, and Blogspot servers are in the US. But, the internet really is not bound by national boundaries, at all.

I started my blog when I was stationed in Iraq (I've been in the US Army for 16 years, now, as of Monday, and am, currently, stationed in Germany). I have spent considerable time tonight editing and posting on my blog, and I am connecting to Blogger through a German Internet Service Provider called Arcor. I'm sitting in my living room (in Bamberg, Germany) messing with my blog, on Blogger, and Blogspot servers, while my wife sits next to me on our other computer working on her online classes through the University of Maryland.

The internet is international, and crossing international borders is so easy that, very often, you don't know that you have done it.

Not to mention, that Blogger is, generally, regarded as one of the best blog services that exist, especially for the price.

Oh! and, I'm a musician for the Army. I play trombone, baritone horn, and tuba for the Army. But, I earned my degree in Music Education before I enlisted. ...

The kid from Illinois ... the sax player ... saxophones are not able to make a sound without reeds. Doesn't matter how many saxes you have. I'd be more than happy to send him some reeds, if you can get me a place to send them.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Ladybug said...

i have too noticed the amount of foreing blogs. it seems that for every one in english there are 10 in another language. it's really boring to sit and read through till you find a blog in a language you can understand. i wonder if there's a way you can look through only blogs in english?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home