Saturday, October 15, 2005

Something different...today I went to the theater with my daughter. We saw Wicked and it was great! I suggest you go if you get the chance. I do think it is a chick and gay guy play. The straight men I saw didn't seem that enthralled. One man in our row actually fell asleep! The story is about the witches of Oz. Very interesting book by Winnie Holzman taken from a novel by Gregory Maguire. The themes are friendship, loneliness, family dramas, censorship, oppression and love. What more could you want? It is at times very funny. The Chicago cast includes Ana Gasteyer of Saturday Night Live fame. She has a great voice. The actress who plays Glinda was out due to an injury sustained during one rather boisterous number, Popular. She better get back in a hurry. Her understudy, Sarah Jane Everman, was exceptional. Not very often that a beautiful woman can play goofy. She has an outstanding voice, too. Traffic was really bad getting to the theater. We were still in the parking garage two blocks from our destination at curtain time. We ran/walked and got in the lobby just as one of the ushers yelled, "Five seconds to get inside or you won't get in!" We sat down, the lights dimmed and we were off. For 2 1/2 hours, I was transported. I forgot all about real life and I laughed and was thoroughly engaged. That counts for a lot these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home